Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

neither heaven nor space.

Sir Ken Robinson has done it again, this time a lot bit better. This is a small part of one of his speeches. It catches my interest because I really really don't want to be anything else than the type of person who loves what they do, but I am also having a hard time landing that in my lap.

He speaks:
I meet all kinds of people who don't enjoy what they do. They simply go through their lives 'getting on with it'. They get no great pleasure from what they do, they endure it, rather than enjoy it. And wait for the weekend. But I also meet people who love what they do, and couldn't imagine doing anything else. If you said to them "don't do this anymore", they would wonder what you were talking about. Because it isn't what they do, it's who they are. They say "But this is me. It would be foolish of me to abandon this because it speaks to my most authentic self." And it's not true of enough people. In fact on the contrary I think it's sort of a minority of people.

I get concerned sometimes that all my goals are incredibly lofty, so much that I will never reach them. Me, an infantile lady. But they maintain so steady, neither shrinking nor shifting....although the days go by in droves and there is never more to work with than what I had the last day, and what I will have the next day. There is something I am missing, and that really aggravates me. Patience and discovery should do a handshake jive.

My ideas feel like dream clouds. Just as soon as I can make sense or shape of one of them, it will disperse into nothing, slipping from my memory much faster than my grip response.

No comments:

Post a Comment